Saturday, April 18, 2009

Top 10 Things Parents of Teens Want...

Hal just took a survey in his ScreamFree Liftoff class. Here are the top 10 things that parents who have teens really want...

1. ...some level of respect from my teen.
2. ...to exercise some self restraint because I say too much.
3. ...to motivate my teen more in school work.
4. ....have my teen accept responsibility for his actions.
5. ...for me to stop “losing it”.
6. ...to be able to communicate better with my teen.
7. ...to get rid of his attitude (ornery, disrespectful, aloof, entitled).
8. ...to find the right balance of friend/relationship/discipline.
9. ...to figure out effective and appropriate consequences to address behavior.
10. ... did I mention respect?

I'll keep you posted on what Hal says about these issues in coming blogs. Let me know if you've got a concern that wasn't on this list.

1 comment:

Dr. Roger D. Butner said...

I'll have to think through that list and what I've experienced with parents of teens over the last few years. First scan seems like a pretty good overlay.

I'm speaking to a group of parents of teens next Saturday. Pray for me and them!

I've been enjoying your blog, Jenny. I hope you are, too.