Thursday, January 22, 2009

Chain Gang

I recently got an email from a relative who will remain nameless. I can pretty much guarantee you that he didn't read all the way to the end and I commend him for his intent. BUT... it was a powerpoint email depicting several statues of Jesus. It mentioned his grace and his mercy. It showed him dying on the cross and raising from the dead to bring us all closer to God.

All well and good. Until the end. I kid you not, after all of these glorious pictures and heartwarming messages, it says this:

If you believe in God,
send this to your whole buddy list.
If you don't, then just ignore it.
And remember the words of Jesus who said,
"If you deny me before man, I will deny you before my father."

You must send this to 8 people. In 8 minutes you will receive something you have long awaited.

Wha??????? So, you're telling me that God loves me unconditionally UNLESS I don't send this to 8 people? Then I'm going to rot in hell? Somehow, I don't think Jesus was envisioning cyber chain letters when he uttered those words long ago. And just out of curiosity....why 8 people? What if I only have 7 friends? What if one of the email addresses bounces? What then?

I have an idea. Let's do a little experiment, shall we - just to mess with those people who send around these ridiculous emails. Let's start an anti chain letter chain letter. It can warn people about the dangers of chain letters and caution them against sending them. Then, at the end of it, we'll tell them that if they don't send this anti chain letter chain letter to at least 11 people in 11 minutes, then their eyeballs will spontaneously combust.

No comments: